Drawings and Notes from a neighborhood in Berkeley--this new interval we inhabit, drawn in part from evening walks down Solano into Albany and the surrounding streets. A Work and Days recast in the local, with eucalyptus trees and a 7-Eleven, interrupted by occasional buses (and doubts) (and smiles) and squirrels...
4.1 Miramar at 6pm (first version)
1 April 2020. Miramar at 6pm
There we are--gathered at the end of the block, with the neighbors from Capistrano. The evening song. Or at least the evening standing-together--which turns out to be quite important, music or no. (The songs may become more central?) Tanya and Dave seem to have organized this--she writes a new version, over one of the Beatles tunes that everyone knows. I wanna wash your hands... (I'm inventing.) All very well-meaning, Dave swaying back and forth, they each have a drink. appropriate. He tells us at the end that after his delivering charity bread from Acme to shelters, there are loaves left over. Please come and take. He finds ways to do something generous like this each evening...
There's George, on the right--his unmistakeably characteristic laugh, as heard from their porch sometimes, saying goodbye to dinner guests later in the evening. Feeling of the street. No wonder Dylan went on to become a composer...
Jane and Suzanne, too. Side by side (this being allowed when you share a home.) The touch of German in Suzanne's voice, adding emphasis to her phrasing--and to her perceptions. A hint at how you might see the world from afar.
And Alesia, of course. By herself tonight, David's working (the lab continues, by remote). She's sitting on the curb, maybe leaning back against the big camphor--I can't recall. A little all-by-herself, clapping on the off-beat as everyone sings. The claps sound a little lonely, too--or maybe that's just how I'm feeling this evening? With C far away, walking at Cottonwood Creek, no doubt, with Jimmy and Odette, or maybe the open trail at San Elijo. She'll tell me about it later, maybe send a photo...
_____
Alesia writes me afterwards, Apologies. Sorry if I was too cheerful this evening. A day without news and I momentarily had a lapse on the gravity of our situation. I answer right away-- Alesia--cheerful is good..no--it's great!!!
_____
You do what you feel you need to. As in these drawings. But I've made Alesia's arms too long--I always do--the hands being everything...
