Drawings and Notes from a neighborhood in Berkeley--this new interval we inhabit, drawn in part from evening walks down Solano into Albany and the surrounding streets. A Work and Days recast in the local, with eucalyptus trees and a 7-Eleven, interrupted by occasional buses (and doubts) (and smiles) and squirrels...
4.19 Towhee at Dusk
19 April 2020. Towhee at Dusk.
Are these too ephemeral? Only because they're so important. For me, that is--the recognition. I've been greeting my towhees for many years now. Hearing their particular small call somewhere up above when I step outside--or returning from a walk. I know they know me--how not? Just the way I know them. Not one by one, necessarily--although that would be admirable. But in the collective--a very special group of friends.
I read that these birds can live upwards of fourteen years. (Typo just now: fourteen tears...) which provides a framework for understanding on my part. Their lifetimes include past lives of our own. They've been here all along--when Lydia first appeared in back, with one of her offspring--a tiny fawn, dotted with white, and those impossibly spindly legs--so narrow but so strong...
The towhee's call--a tiny, high pitched cheep-cheep (emphasis on the first part). Someone once said it was a warning, to their towhee families--the presence of a stranger. But I think it can only be a greeting. In fact, I'm sure of it. All in the timing--just when they call out--their awareness of that particular moment. Shared...
And, of course, my response-- "Hi Tow..."
____
Last night, returning from a long walk, in the half-light. There in the street, right in front--just one...
_____
It was B. who named her Lydia--the first of the deer. Now we have I don't know how many generations, sometimes one fawn, sometimes two. I'm pretty sure they're sometimes born right here in the back yard...
